Sunday, July 17, 2016

Wiping The Slate Clean and Introducing Adventurer Kevin

It's been a while and, while I've never stopped trying new pizzerias around town, I've missed blogging about it. Since the last time this blog was updated my life and Ian's life both changed, moving in opposite directions. I hope whatever Ian's doing in life he's enjoying pizza every now and again and thinking fondly on our pizzadventuring days.

Now, I'd like to introduce my new pizzadventuring partner Kevin.

I've known Kevin for five years. We got to know each other in a Saturday night RPG group. I have to admit that, much like my pizzadventuring days with Ian, I look back on that Saturday night group with a lot of nostalgia.

Here are three things that I like about Kevin:

  1. He has long pretty hair (also pretty green eyes).
  2. He's a writer. When the mood strikes us both we've even traded writing for critique.
  3. His opinions are always well thought out. Even when we disagree, he'll have thought through his position (something I can't always say about myself).

Check out our "about us" page for more about Kevin in his own words.



With a new partnership I feel it's only fair to wipe the slate clean and go back to Adventure #1. If you've ever walked into a comic shop and heard the news that Marvel or DC has decided to start all over again with issue #1, I feel for you. This isn't a decision I take lightly, but just like I've changed in the last few years (I have a newish husband and a newish baby), I'm sure that some of the pizzerias that Ian and I visited together have changed. Plus, you're going to want to know what Kevin thinks of these places.

Let's talk about new rules. ...sortof new rules. During our first adventure we joked about being the Pizza Supreme Court (Kevin is a law/SCOTUS geek). At least for now, I'm going to run with it. These are the Court Procedures:

1. We will trade off picking a pizzeria.
2. The person who did not pick the pizzeria is the Chief Pizza Justice for the adventure.
3. The picking person is afforded a brief concurring or dissenting opinion for each adventure. If the opinion is dissenting, the pizzeria is eligible to be picked again so that further exploration can be made.

Hopefully the subject of adventure #2 b/c this is one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth.
There are some things that haven't changed though. I still feel strongly about the following:
  • We love locally owned pizzerias. Homogenized chain pizza just doesn't hit the spot and doesn't contribute to the awesomeness of our city. With that said, there are more and more chains trying out Austin as their new market and we would remiss if we didn't try them out, just to confirm if they can reach the high bar that our local pizzerias set.
  • Specialty pizzas should be a showcase of what the pizzeria does best. These are the topping combinations that the owners/pizziolos recommend, and if they're not putting that much thought into them they are failing to provide a key component of the pizza experience
  • A pizza should stand on its own. We know that everyone has different tastes, but the pizza should be at its maximum deliciousness without any help from condiments. If Parmesan, red pepper flakes, or (I shudder at the thought) ranch dressing are needed, they should be a balanced part of the pizza, planned for and integrated into the recipe.
I sincerely hope that Kevin and I can carve out new, wonderful pizza memories and do the blog proud.

Look out for our first Pizza Supreme Court ruling tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment